Homeowners & Business Property Insurance Claims Attorney

Displaced by Hurricane Ian? Contact us to see if you have insurance to pay for your temporary residence.

Ben Light

You must file your claim with your insurance company as soon as possible under the circumstances!!

If you do not report your claim on time, you may lose your insurance coverage. In response to your claim, the insurance company will assign an “independent adjuster” to handle your claim. They will almost certainly request an inspection as well as additional documents or information from you. Following the completion of their investigation, they should provide you with an estimate of how much it will cost to repair the covered damage and advise you that a check in that amount will be sent. Consider yourself lucky if you are completely satisfied with the payment and the explanation you receive – BUT DO NOT SIGN ANY DOCUMENTS SUCH AS A PROOF OF LOSS OR RELEASE! This may prevent you from reopening your claim later if necessary. If you have any questions about your claim or the payment you received, or if you do not understand how to report your claim, please contact us.

Schedule your FREE, no-obligation case evaluation today. Contact us online or call 727-499-9900

But be sure you have accounted for all potentially hidden damage such as:

Failed window seals

Even though the window might not have broken, when the humid and wet weather returns you may find that the window seals were damaged by the wind.


Damage to the waterproof covering on your roof under the metal, shingle or tile covering may not be visible and you may only find out next rainy season.


If you had interior water intrusion behind your walls mold may develop.

Why Hire a Property Insurance Claims Attorney at The Magazine Law Group?

If you have any questions about reporting your claim or the insurance company’s response, then consult Ben or Jim for free and they will advise you. If they think they can help you, they will offer to represent you. If they recover for you, they are paid by the insurance company, and there is never an out-of-pocket cost to you.

Some other Hurricane Ian coverage issues are...


If you have insurance, you are probably entitled to an immediate check to cover alternate living arrangements and you should ultimately receive a check for the entire policy limit if your home is a total loss. If you have any trouble getting payment of these benefits, then consult Ben or Jim for free and they will advise you.



Most policies will cover all or part of these costs. You should seek out a company that offers these services, get an estimate and submit a request that your insurance company pay for it.



These policies may cover your lost income. Secure your financial records and have them organized and accessible.



Whole books are written about insurance policies and good lawyers fight everyday over what policies mean. If you have questions, ask a professional.


We are experienced attorneys who are completely dedicated to each case we take on. We work with good people who have been harmed and make them whole again, at least financially. Nothing can replace what Hurricane Ian destroyed, but we can assist you in rebuilding.

Ben has 22 years of experience representing policyholders and insurance companies in disputed property insurance claims. He is admitted to practice in both Florida and New Jersey, where he first began practicing law after attending Rutgers University for both his undergraduate and law degrees where he was an editor of the Rutgers Law Review during law school.

Ben moved to Florida from New Jersey in 2018 to work at a large downtown Tampa firm defending property insurance carriers against hurricane litigation over every storm to hit the state from Hurricane Irma to Hurricane Ian. Prior to that, he maintained his own practice in New Jersey representing policyholders and other injury clients. He began his career at one of New Jersey’s oldest and largest firms in the commercial and insurance litigation department.

He has handled hurricane and many other types of insurance coverage matters including water and fire claims, sinkhole claims, jewelers’ claims, termite infestations, collapse claims, cast iron pipe claims, valued policy law claims and business interruption claims.

Ben joined his practice with Jim Magazine’s one month before Ian made landfall. Jim is a Florida Board Certified Civil Trial lawyer who has spent his career helping injured victims. As a Martindale Hubbell AV rated attorney, he is often referred cases by his peers who ask him to litigate because of his reputation as a top trial lawyer and his extensive experience inside the courtroom. Jim is licensed to practice law in the State of Florida since 1990 and is also admitted to practice at the Appellate level and admitted to the United States Supreme Court.

Jim and Ben are both completely dedicated to their clients, who can reach them at any time by phone, text, or e-mail. They both enjoy spending time with their families and friends and are big baseball fans.