Will My Insurance Company Pay For Me to Live Somewhere Else if My House Was Damaged by Hurricane Ian?

aerial view of damaged homes after hurricane ian

Yes. If you purchased property insurance with Additional Living Expense coverage, you should be entitled to the cost you incur to live somewhere else if your home was severely damaged to the point that you cannot live in it. For some, this will be a matter of weeks while for others it might, unfortunately, be much longer. For example, if your home was not watertight during the storm and there has been water intrusion, you will probably begin to find mold growth in your home. This may make it uninhabitable while it is being treated and removed. Or the structural repair of your home may make it impossible to live there during what will be an extended period of time. Make sure you look at your policy and determine whether you have Additional Living Expense coverage. Ask your insurance company’s assigned adjuster about it.

Dram shop lawyer Jim Magazine

If you have any questions or problems getting your insurance company to pay for a hotel, Airbnb or other temporary housing, please reach out to our Hurricane Ian Insurance Lawyer.

What types of living expenses does ALE pay for?

The insurance company will not pay ALL of your living expenses. ALE is to help pay those expenses that are beyond your normal expenses because you can’t live in your home. For example, ALE coverage will pay for a hotel, Airbnb, or other temporary housing but it won’t make your mortgage payment. ALE typically covers hotel bills, reasonable restaurant meals (if you’re staying in a hotel room with no kitchen), and other living costs above and beyond your normal housing expenses while you can’t live in your home because of damage. You need to be sure you keep ALL receipts for any additional costs you have. The insurance company will need the receipts to reimburse you.

Photo of Jim Magazine
James (Jim) Magazine is a Florida Board Certified Civil Trial lawyer who has spent his career helping injured victims. Jim is licensed to practice law in the State of Florida since 1990 and is also admitted to practice at the Appellate level and admitted to the United States Supreme Court.